Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Spain
Professor of Medicine, Director, Hematology Dept. and Hematopoietic Transplantation, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Positions and Honors:
- Residence in Hematology and Hematotherapy at the Hospital Clínic of Barcelona between Jan 1980 and December 1983.
- Predoctoral grant to investigate “Biologic and Clinical factors with prognostic impact in patients with acute myeloid leukemia” (PhD project under the Direction of Prof. Ciril Rozman). Jan 1984-December 1980.
- Staff member (1985) and Senior Specialist (1996) of the Hematology Department (Acute Leukemia and Marrow Transplant Section) at the Hospital Clinic of Barcelona, Spain. (Profs. C. Rozman, A. Grañena, E. Montserrat).
- Postdoctoral scientist at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (University of Washington) Seattle, USA. January-1995 to Sept 1996, and August-Sept 1999. (Profs. Claudio Anasetti, John Hansen, Paul Martin and Mary Flowers).
- President of the Catalan Society of Hematology 2000-2002.
- President of the Annual Meeting of the European Blood and Marrow Transplant Group (EBMT), Barcelona, June 2004.
- Deputy editor, Haematologica journal, 1998-2004.
- Co-chair of the Acute Leukemia Committee and member of the Advisory Board of the Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research, Milwaukee, 2005-2009.
- Chair of the Health and Life Sciences Committee of the Catalan Research Agency (AGAUR) 2010-2013.
- Coordinator of Myeloid Malignancies Research of the Spanish Cancer Network of Excellence (ISCIII RTICC 2006-2012). Coordinator of Hematologic Cancer Research Program of the Spanish Cancer Network of Excellence (ISCIII RTICC 2012-2014)
- Councilor (Board Member) of the European Hematology Association (Committees: Fundraising and Sponsoring, Education, Fellowship and Grants, European Affairs), June 2008 to June 2010.
- Chair of the Scientific Committee of the Annual Congress of the European Hematology Association, Stockholm, June 2013.
- Visiting Scientist at the Moffitt Cancer Center (University of South Florida), Hematology and Transplantation Divisions, July and August 2013. (Profs. Claudio Anasetti, Mohamed Kharfan-Dabaja, Eduardo Sotomayor, Jeffrey Lancet).
- Executive Committee Member (Secretary, Treasurer, President-elect). European Hematology Association. July 2010-June 2015.
- Member of the Board of the José Carreras International Leukemia Research Foundation, June 2012-April 2022.
- Associate Editor, Bone Marrow Transplantation journal, 2018-2021.
- President of the Spanish Society of Hematology and Hematotherapy, Oct 2016-Oct 2019.
- Director of the Hematology Department and Stem Cell Transplant Program at the Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau in Barcelona since October 1997.
- Professor of Medicine (Hematology) at the University Autonoma of Barcelona since February 2006.
- Member of the Board of the Spanish PETHEMA Foundation (2001-).
- Chairman of Spanish CETLAM Group on study and treatment of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (1994-)
- Editor in chief, Blood, Spanish Edition.
- Reviewer for the journals: N Engl J Med, Blood, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Leukemia, Annals of Hematology, Haematologica, Bone Marrow Transplantation, Annals of Oncology.
- Full member of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Catalonia (2012-).